wife, mother, ph.d. student, hot stuff.

Sunday, September 01, 2002

I don't understand the rules of flirting at all. For some reason, most men seem to think that it's a-ok to whistle or slurp at women when walking down the street. The other week, I was followed for 5 full minutes by some guy who kept slurping at me and saying "yeah baby!" I was seriously grossed/freaked out by the whole thing. But then, when at a bar or a club, a huge set of rules are suddenly in place. As long as you don't maintain eye contact and stay in a close circle with friends, guys leave you alone. At first glance, this doesn't make sense; a good amount of young people go to bars to meet people. It seems more socially acceptable to pick someone up at a bar, then right off the street!

Maybe I need to think about it some more.

No comments: